Daniel Ellsberg Model (30 min)
- (5) Introduction to the lesson with a Cel.ly Poll,Whistleblower Defination, Whistleblower in the Media
- (5) Model How you approach highlighting, margin notes, and thinking about a tea party character through Daniel Ellsberg
- (5) Primary Source Articles hand out to groups. have them use same strategy to highlight and circle great sentence starters
- (5) Watch Colbert Video Take notes on sentence starters
- (10) Project Primary Source. Model student notes. Make a list of counterargument sentence starters. Take the ideas shared in these notes and place into a graphic organizer.
Tea Party (20 Min)
- (5) Read your tea party role learn it
- (10) Circulate the Room
- (5) Which tea party character did you enjoy meeting the most. Who do you want to write on?
Letter Models (15)
- (10) Kim Shares Ellsberg model . WIlliams Reads his letter against Ellsberg. Ellsberg Snowden model available as an extra. While you listen use our strategy of collecting sentence starters.
- (5) Speak out w/ your letter review criteria sheet. Show where articles can be found (See Below)
Collaborative Sharing (10)
Whistle Blower Articles
- http://uncamouflaged.blogspot.com/2012/09/dont-free-bradley-manning-rejected-op.html (against)
- Against manning condensed article: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16DAkFeMxlowAh1FoufacxTAQRXb0TIDKHrBcEAgHdA0/edit?usp=sharing
- http://blog.pennlive.com/opinion/print.html?entry=/2013/06/bradley_manning_is_a_hero_not_enemy_of_the_people_as_i_see_it.html (for)
- http://www.opednews.com/articles/Bradley-Manning-Is-Guilty-by-Norman-Solomon-130605-51.html (for)
- condensed article for manning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DtuK683qGlIY3-MC_5NYSFiwEPXtNceldXE63kokuxc/edit?usp=sharing
Julian Assange (journalist who many see as being treated like a whistle blower)
- http://www.salon.com/2010/12/22/lind_wikileaks/ (against)
- Condensed article against Assange: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PN71Po59ghFRlTxg7yfH3eiu1C4NmADkBjG-BQ7Sw2I/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.nationaljournal.com/nationalsecurity/from-the-pentagon-papers-to-wikileaks-daniel-ellsberg-calls-julian-assange-a-hero-20101216?print=true (for)
- Condensed Article supporting Assange: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lkieubtP0BGtm26VM5K1cgiCdwxERiQEI5IHJEu29ys/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-10/edward-snowden-criminal-or-model-citizen-.html (both sided discussed)
- Edward Snowden condensed both sides : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X77Ix9W5_r23AhURxxeHVdM-ev3pi3VLmKG5cYtrofg/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/06/why-edward-snowden-is-a-hero.html?printable=true¤tPage=all (for)
- Condensed article supporting Snowden: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SBAwvjRJEjC0O6xcYVLgsPWOCTwCOsKumztm7dzVdpY/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/23/110523fa_fact_mayer?printable=true¤tPage=all (showing both sides)
- Condensed drake both sides: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19vUxgtwHG34HgDQSD7F_ZqoH0BQ-IQZAV9PSZI5lqCI/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/30/ex_cia_agent_whistleblower_john_kiriakou (for)
- Condensed John Kiriakou article (for) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFDZrvFRJYDa94Fc0QlSf4mZFQKL-mplxOYJNQM0QiQ/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/us/former-cia-officer-pleads-guilty-in-leak-case.html (neutral)
- Condensed John Kiriakou article against https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z0NedlQylvaZ_kmHWwFM-NFY2toroGhLr-rVtfs0WS0/edit?usp=sharing
Jeffrey Wigand (Big Tobacco):
Glenn Greenwald (journalist who some believe is being treated just like a whistle blower)
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/peter-king-glenn-greenwald_n_3430048.html?view=print&comm_ref=false against)
- Condensed article against Greenwald: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10NUG5VbLFmqNSN-agX64ECR656yeU4GnFMHFu0q-XeA/edit?usp=sharing
- http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/06/14/in-defense-of-publishing-leaks/?print=1&r= (for)
- Condensed For Article for Glen Greenwaldhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1p_BaIDkCW55fT_4kf8zV6i8u0Ex3ft5atplWg7Or_D8/edit?usp=sharing
Aaron Swartz (hacktivist prosecuted for downloading academic journals)
- http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/01/17/vennochi/ZcdoqRwgIMW7Tam2q7mKMJ/story.html (against)
- Aaron Swartz condensed article against: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JyY04HCmy-5d927jQ8pikkLQHamwzOvLHhvdi5iJmpo/edit?usp=sharing
- http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/14/aaron-swartz-reddit-hacker-debate.html (both sides shown)
- Aaron Swartz both sides of the article condensed https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oND-v1Ga9p_OL53E1frx-yRE39pId6krOpDW4HoEVsQ/edit?usp=sharing
Beyond the Bubble accesses 21st century skills with Primary Source Documents.
This resource has amazing information on creating common core aligned assessments that:
- balance knowledge of content and historical thinking.
- ask students to apply content knowledge rather than reproduce it.
- ask students to consider content in ways that require thought, judgment, and deep understanding.
- Take only a few minutes and are easy to score
- Come with rubrics and samples of student work
- Promote academic literacy
- Provide windows into students’ thinking
Black History Month is here and Valentines day is approaching.
Teaching Tolerance recently published a curriculum guide to discuss the Supreme Court Case Loving v. Virginia. The story of Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple living in Virginia in the 1950s.
http://lovingfilm.com/ : documentary film
I had a great time at EdCamp PDX this weekend. I have some new resources I am excited to try out in the classroom.
-Integrating Google Voice into classroom projects: What a fun way to get students communicating and working on career related skills. I hope to have students all use google voice in content related projects this semester. I’m really excited!
– Encourage students to use something other than powerpoint:
- http://www.smore.com/ : Create Flyers
- http://www.toondoo.com/ : Create Graphic Novels
- http://prezi.com/ : A new look to power points
- http://www.tagxedo.com/app.html: Create Word Clouds
- http://www.weebly.com/ : create a website
- http://better.at/about : Online planning tools
- http://www.voki.com/ : create speaking avatars
- http://worldmap.harvard.edu/: Collaborative Mapping
- http://www.zinepal.com/who/educators : Create zines
- http://docsteach.org/: Innovative primary source document use
-Use Technology to encourage creative discussion, perhaps using these tools will encourage all students to participate:
- http://todaysmeet.com/ : Collaborative Chat
- http://corkboard.me/9BR0DUxcbk : Collaborative Bulletin Boards
- http://en.linoit.com/ : Collaborative Bulletin Boards
- http://www.stixy.com/ : Collaborative Bulletin Boards
- http://www.polleverywhere.com/ : Collaborative polling, surveys, questions
- http://www.socrative.com/ : Collaborative polling, surveys, questions
- http://cel.ly/ : Collaborative polling, surveys, questions
-Use technology as a pre-unit brainstorm or to share inspiration
The National Archives offers a free interactive primary source tool. I’m really excited to try this out in my government classes!