Prepare for official writing work sample.
Introduction to the Chinese Exclusion Acts
Essential Question: What happened between the 1860s, when Chinese were welcomed, and 1882, when they were excluded?
1. SSR/ Warm-Up: Identify your prompt of interest (5 min)
2. Writing OAKS Test Preparation: Review Requirements, Model Persuasive Writing (brainstorm, organizer, rough draft, final draft); Get into groups and edit samples (30 min)
3. Chinese Exclusion Act Background: Analyze photograph, mini-lecture, watch a clip from Ken Burns The West Documentary: http://www.hulu.com/watch/324865 (Start at 19 min in)
4. Review Timeline and create predictions answering the Essential Question: What happened between the 1860s, when Chinese were welcomed, and 1882, when they were excluded?
5. Analyze Primary Source Documents A-D to prove or discredit predictions.
6. As time allows: Write 1-page: What factors contributed to the Chinese Exclusion Act? Use evidence to support your answer.
Relax. Get ready for the OAKS writing Test!
Chinese Exclusion Act Documents from this Lesson